Why go private?
The benefits of private healthcare can be seen in the level of care we pride ourselves on providing at St. Anthony's Hospital,
both in terms of the resources we are equipped with and the level of experience and qualifications of the team we work with.
By choosing to have your operation at St Anthony’s, you are ensuring that your weight loss journey will be tailored to your individual
needs, and that you will receive proper aftercare and support so that you can go on to achieve sustainable and significant weight
"My whole experience at St Anthony’s exceeded both of our expectations. All the people we spoke to – the cleaners, porters, receptionist,
nurses and doctors – were extremely helpful and courteous... I wrote a letter to Matron expressing our gratitude because I had felt the whole
procedure had been professionally managed, and everyone had done everything they could to put us at our ease."
Resources at the Surrey Weight Loss Surgery Centre
- Just as the expertise and experience of the team is crucial to the outcome, so is the setting in which the service is provided
- St Anthony’s Hospital is one of a small number of independent charitable hospitals in England and was founded in 1904 by the
Daughters of the Cross. Our friendly and welcoming atmosphere puts patient at their ease. In the twelve years that the Surrey Weight
Loss Surgery Centre has been established, we have found that this encourages the patient-team bond that is so crucial to successful
- With 91 beds, St Anthony's is larger than most private hospitals, and as such we have a higher than normal level of medical staff
- All rooms are private and en-suite, which lends itself to effective control and prevention of infection. We pride ourselves on
our low infection rate
- St Anthony's Hospital is among a minority of private hospitals and weight loss surgery centres offering Level 3 Intensive care.
Our Intensive Care Unit (LINK to ICU site) is staffed by a resident anaesthetist and resident cardiac surgeon, as well as 8 other
highly trained intensivists. 24-hour on-call cover is provided for patients in their care. The ratio of 1:1 intensivist nurse to
patient care means that you can feel completely at ease about the level of care you will receive during and immediately after your
operation. You will be in safe and highly competent hands
- St Anthony's Hospital has been caring for weight loss surgery patients for over ten years, and as such is fully equipped for this
speciality to guarantee bed safety and comfort to very overweight patients. We are sensitive to the concerns of larger patients that
they may present handling difficulties at the time of operation, but are fully equipped with specialist wheelchairs, beds, operating
equipment, operating tables and hoists
Addressing the individual needs of our patients
- A central and defining aspect of the private treatment you will receive at St Anthony's is the utmost importance
given to addressing your individual and specific needs as you embark on your weight loss journey
- The care you will receive here will reflect our understanding of obesity as a medical condition, with psychological
and physiological implications that are unique to the individual
"I felt like an individual rather than a statistic, and felt assured that the team had my best interests at heart."
The importance of follow-up and aftercare
- We particularly recognise the importance of aftercare. For many of our patients this is a decisive factor in the decision
between weight loss surgery at our centre and weight loss surgery abroad
- We will maintain strong lines of communication with your general practitioner, to ensure you the method of care and aftercare
that is best for you, based on your medical and personal histories
- Follow-up consultations are on a one-to-one basis. You will regularly meet with dietician, psychological advisor and physiological
advisor. In addition to this, support groups are run for patients once a month. (see below)
- A distinctive trait of the aftercare you will receive with us is that you will meet regularly with the consultant who carried out
your procedure, and follow-up will be carried out under his direction, as they will best understand the features of your weight loss
journey. Surgery without specialist behavioural assessment and on-going support can be not just ineffective in the longer term but
- For many of our patients, post-weight loss Skin Reduction Surgery
is a key part of their weight loss journey, and the return of their confidence and happiness
- The support and aftercare provided for you at St Anthony’s will underpin the lifestyle modifications that go hand in hand with
- We are meticulous in our endeavours to maintain our high level of quality and standards, another key factor for many patients
in the decision not to go abroad
- Support Groups are run on a monthly basis for our patients. They are held in the on-site St Bede’s Conference Centre
- The support groups are run by the healthcare professionals involved in your weight loss journey, including nurse counsellors
and dieticians. They are designed to give patients an opportunity to discuss with one another their experiences of weight loss surgery,
to receive support for anything they may be struggling with, and to listen to each other’s success stories
- Whilst they are led by members of our team, patients participation is encouraged in a safe and friendly environment – where those
who just wish to listen are able to do so!
- For many of our patients, attendance of our Support Groups proves a vital part of their aftercare
"I have found the support group a great help and see many miracles there."
"The extent of the post-operative care I received played a large part in my weight loss success...I knew that the
team were there for me should I have needed anything."